The Sweet Lyfe

Music....Art....Fashion....Just Regular Entertainment....

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

The Sweet Lyfe Blog: Interview w/ DJ Black 'n Mild

The Sweet Lyfe Blog had a chance to sit down and talk with a DJ that is known around the globe for his skills.  There's no need to tell you that New Orleans births some of the best in the music industry of all genres and this man knows his stuff.  Check out the interview with DJ and C.E.O of Go Dj's La, DJ Black 'n Mild.



Tae: 
For those that are not familiar with DJ Black ‘n Mild, tell us a little about yourself.

DJ Black ‘n Mild:
Well I hail from the great city of New Orleans. I have been a dj for over 15 years. I have DJ’d all over the southeast region of the u.s. to Alaska to the Dominican republic to Puerto Rico. I have been a radio mix show Dj as well as a on air personality anything else, you can Google me! (Laughs)



Tae:
What makes you stand out from other DJ’s?

DJ Black ‘n Mild:
I stand out because I’m a REAL Dj. I mix, scratch, blend & interact with the crowd. Djs or so-called Djs these days just “play music” they have no respect or knowledge of the ART of Djing.

Tae:
Where did you get the name Black ‘n Mild and what made it stick?

DJ Black ‘n Mild:
(Laughs)I get this question ALL the time. But after I got my 1st Dj set up out the back of the Source magazine(in 1995), I was at my moms house smoking a black outside(I couldn’t smoke in the house) and I was thinking about what my Dj name should be. Then I looked down at my black and it was simple… DJ BLACK N MILD! It just stuck because it was so different. 


Tae:
Who are your top 5 artists?

DJ Black ‘n Mild:
My top 5 to play are Lil Wayne, Young Jeezy, Jay Z, Juvenile & anyone that’s hot!
My top 5 to listen to are Rakim, Redman, Erykah Badu, Beenie Man & Sade
My top 5 artists PERIOD are MJ, B.I.G., Rakim, Pac & Janet Jackson



Tae:
What is Bounce or New Orleans Bounce music and how does it differ from other types of music?

DJ Black ‘n Mild:
New Orleans bounce is hip hop at its most basic form. Meaning that in the beginning of hip hop, it was call and chant between the emcee & crowd. That’s what bounce is. The foundation of bounce music is the “Triggerman” (the Showboys Drag Rap) instrumental & the “Brown Beat” (Derek B’s Rock the beat) instrumental. We use these beats and variations of them to make songs and remixes. Bounce differs from other genres because its uniquely New Orleans, much like jazz. We can take any R&B or rap song and make it our own through the bounce remixes we do… to make it simple, bounce IS New Orleans & New Orleans IS bounce!

Tae:
Are you working on any upcoming projects?

DJ Black ‘n Mild:
I’m working on my “Rhythm & Bounce” mix tape series & the “We are the STREETS” mix tape series.

Tae:
How can people get in touch with you?

DJ Black ‘n Mild:
Easy, hit me up on Twitter: twitter.com/djblacknmild or FaceBook: facebook.com/djblacknmild & you can hit up Go Djs LA

Tae:
Once again, thank you for your time, would you like to add anything?

DJ Black ‘n Mild:
Thank you for this interview. I’m truly humbled that you show love to djs like this. It is truly appreciated.

Shout out to all my Go Dj’s in Louisiana and worldwide. Shout out to my Core dj family worldwide. Shout out to New Orleans, the great state of Louisiana, everyone still displaced or affected from Katrina, all the artists and Dj’s from New Orleans & Louisiana, hell, EVERYBODY!

RESPECT THE DJ… 



Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Your Thoughts:

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home