The Sweet Lyfe

Music....Art....Fashion....Just Regular Entertainment....

Monday, June 21, 2010

Skipp Coon And Mr. Nick – “It Is What It Is”



It is what it is.
If I had a dollar for every time I’ve heard that, I probably wouldn’t need to be applying for jobs right now. It’s the answer to every situation when a logical one doesn’t seem to present itself. One of those clutch sayings we always tend to lean on.
David D. hit me up a few months ago telling me about Skipp Coon and Mr. Nick. Seeing as how we’ve never really disagreed on music (at least to my knowledge), I obliged to give it a listen. Good thing I did too. Going back to their initial TSS introduction, D said something that basically summed up the music in a nutshell.
Some rappers make it look easy. Skipp doesn’t, and that’s the beauty of his music. He tirelessly toils over the beat, hammering away at each bar with the force of a chain gang.
On “It Is What It Is,” that same formula is implemented. After allowing about a minute for the beat to set the tone, Skipp goes in. Personally dubbed what I like to call “real life flow,” the Jackson, Mississippi, product proves a microcosm of real life with a lyrical backdrop. The entire track is one hell of a ride, but the second verse is the dose of reality which had me spinning the song back over and over. Skipp questions the true reason many step in the booth and the impact it has on impressionable minds. Something lovers of the genre have been pondering for years with no real answer.
However, like the song says, it is what it is. That’s what we’ll keep saying until we actually figure this thing out. Maybe Skipp can help shed light on the problem with his new new EP Sophomore Slump: Independents Day set to drop soon.
VIA: The Smoking Section

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Your Thoughts:

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home