The Sweet Lyfe

Music....Art....Fashion....Just Regular Entertainment....

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Interview - DJ Jay Skillz


Tae:
For those that are not familiar with DJ Jay Skillz, tell us a little about yourself.

Jay Skillz:
Ok, I was born in New Orleans, moved to Houston when I was 9. I moved back to New Orleans in 2004 for school. I was a rapper at first and went by the name N.O.Sense aka NO Sense at All. Terrible now that I look back on it. (laughs) I was at Dillard in 2004 and linked up with Mike Swift at the radio station on campus, then from there I gave up rapping and I started DJing lol. That’s the condensed version I guess. (laughs)

Tae:
What makes you stand out from other DJ’s and Definition DJs in Louisiana and nationwide for that matter?

Jay Skillz:
I think I bring a different personality to it. I’m the only Chopped & Screwed DJ out here in New Orleans, I think. I’m one of the few with my radio show and I’m trying to bridge the gap between the old school and new school. I want to have the people who grew up with Big Daddy Kane, EPMD, Biggie, Pac be able to somewhat identify with the kids today listening to Soulja Boy, The New Boyz, Gucci Mane, etc. To me its all Hip-Hop its just that the music has gotten so full that it can’t just be Hip-Hop anymore. It needs sub-genres like Rock has.



Tae:
Who are your top 5 artists?

Jay Skillz:
My Top 5 Current would be, Joe Budden, Jay-Z, Scarface, 2Pac, Eminem

Tae:
Are you working on any upcoming projects?

Jay Skillz:
Yeah, I’ve got a couple projects on the horizon. MDot CDot - Come Take A Ride With Me, The Nobodys Monologues – Lyriqs Da Lyriciss, Unrestricted Free Agents which is mixed and hosted by myself and DJ SlowBoogie. Solo-wise I’m working on Got The Drawers 4 and I’m Just Screwing Around II both Chop & screw records and me and the homie Skeptik has a mixtape on the way. I’m also working with CTE artist Boo Rossini with a mixtape due sometime in April is what I’m shooting for.

Tae:
How can people get in touch with you?

Jay Skillz:
Of course I’m heavy on Twitter www.twitter.com/JaySkillz I don’t just plug music lol. I talke about whatever. The Myspace, if people still do that, www.myspace.com/djjayskillz. Facebook www.facebook.com/DJJaySkillz. The blogs djjayskillz.wordpress.com and sityourdumbassdown.blogspot.com. Also any artists looking to collaborate or send tracks hit the e-mail skillzmixtapes@gmail.com

Tae:
Once again, thank you for your time, would you like to add anything?

Jay Skillz:
I appreciate the interview. I wanna thank everybody that’s supporting. Don’t forget to tune into B.S. Radio every Wednesday Night 7-10pm www.crescentcityradio.com. Myself, S-Dubb & J-Hawk. Shoutout to Lyrikill, Tony Skratchere, El Williams, Mike Swift, J-Le, Lyriqs Da Lyriciss, Slangston Hughes, Tygah Woods Radio, Ice Mike, The Definition DJs, The Future Star DJs, SpitRaw, E.D. Nix, Dubb, A. Levy, “The Soundclashers”, LATEX ENTERTAINMENT, Mo City and New Orleans of course.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Your Thoughts:

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home