The Sweet Lyfe

Music....Art....Fashion....Just Regular Entertainment....

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Interview - Lyrikill








Tae:
For those that are not familiar with you, tell us a little about yourself.

Lyrikill:
I am Lyrikill, a 29 year-old hip-hop cultural enthusiast, emcee, spokesperson for real issues, sneaker addict and visionary. I represent the original elements of hip-hop culture (emceeing, deejaying, breaking and graffiti) and its true school renaissance from the southern region. I host a monthly event, called The Soundclash. It is a producer competition, local music showcase, and networking event to build unity in the New Orleans urban music scene. Our event works with established musicians as well as developing talent and we have been able to connect various artists with opportunities in the music industry. 

Tae:
How would you describe your music?

Lyrikill:
I call it true school hip-hop music. True in the sense that it pays respect to the past, embodies the cultures and speaks to the people. I am a visual artist as well, so I like to think of my vocal performance through rap being literary and sonic art.

   
Tae:
Who are your top 5 artists?

Lyrikill:
"Dylan, Dylan, Dylan, Dylan and Dylan...cause I spit hot fire...."

My fav 5 emcees are Cee-Lo (of Goodie Mob), the late Big Pun, Ghostface Killah, Nas and Scarface.

My favorite producers are DJ Khalil, Jake One, the late J Dilla, Hi-Tek & Pete Rock (who will be at Soundclash 3/12 at Howlin Wolf).

Tae:
What category would you place your music in and if you could name the sound/type of music, what would it be?

Lyrikill:
Its hip-hop music, but very true to the late 80s early 90s roots of the music. Be prepared to hear breakbeats, samples, call & response, punchlines, etc. It's also music that is socially responsible and works to help unify and motivate the listening crowd.

Tae:
How can people get in touch with you?

Lyrikill:
My website is www.lyrikillmusic.com and I am on most of the social networks, myspace, facebook, and twitter all at Lyrikill...you can @reply me on twitter @lyrikill and i'll definitely hit you back. For Soundclash info, visit www.thesoundclash.com or email info@thesoundclash.com.

Tae:
Is there anything else you would like to add?

Lyrikill:
I'd like to thank all the people who support music in general, whether it's going to shows, buying music, blogging, promoting or however you contribute. There are tons of artists with relevant music that just want to be heard that get overlooked because of their lack of connections in the industry, so every supporter keeps our culture alive.



Labels: , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Darryl D. Smith said...

Nice quick interview. I like that song, "I'm That Dude" by Lyrikill and am a supporter!

February 28, 2010 at 8:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Your Thoughts:

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home